Home > Nanyang Experience > Academics > English Language
With a strategic focus on holistic education and bilingualism, Nanyang is well-positioned to develop potential bi-cultural scholars for Singapore. A strong command of English and Chinese will enable our pupils to forge lasting friendships and to gain valuable insights into the rich heritage of both the English-speaking and the Mandarin-speaking nations.
We want to raise generations of avid readers, competent and creative writers and eloquent speakers who will contribute positively to the nation.
- To cultivate the love of reading among our pupils
- To engage our pupils in learning situations that give them opportunities to express their ideas, thoughts and opinions in speech and writing
- To encourage our pupils to question, evaluate and reflect on the texts they read or listen to
- To create opportunities for meaningful interaction and collaboration among our pupils in and out of the classroom
- To equip our pupils with the ability to gain access to information and knowledge
- To empower our pupils to communicate in internationally acceptable English.
The aim of the English instructional programme is to enable pupils to use internationally acceptable English for:
- Literary response and expression
- Social interaction
The new EL syllabus incorporates a sharper focus on 21st century competencies to enable our students to communicate effectively and confidently.